Wednesday, March 14, 2012

The Mama Spoon


I have this very old spoon. The very same one pictured on the right. It's a baby spoon. Although for a baby spoon it is rather large, larger than a teaspoon but smaller than a dessertspoon. I can't imagine it fitting into a wee little mouth. 

The spoon's bowl is engraved with flowers, its also slightly bent where it attaches to a heavy little handle. It's mildly tarnished. I think it's even silver plated, in parts the silver has even worn away. I keep it on my bedside table, or at least close by. I have been known to take this spoon with me when I travel.

It's the family spoon.

I love it. Oh spoon, how I love thee, let me count the ways...

Whenever I need comfort from the woes of the world, apart from Tall Man's shoulder or one of me ladies, I seek out the spoon and stroke its spoon-iness. It's well worn. Not all because of my stroking obsession but because it is quite old and it has been well used.

This spoon - she's got history. This spoon once belonged to my Grandmother (Estelle) and she used it to feed my Mum (Maree) when she was a babe and then my Mum fed me with this same spoon and now I have the spoon. I have never used the spoon for culinary purposes, it just seems far too special. I guess I treat it more like a blankie than a spoon, weird but true. Always within arms reach connection to family, home, food and love.  It is the grand old spoon of love. I am yet to feed Little Squish with the spoon. It needs a darn good clean first.  

I can't wait to really! It has to be a special moment though. I might feed her some of her 1st birthday cake with it. That feels like a nice intro to THE spoon. This spoon just oozes with nourishment and yummy maternal cuddles and sweet sweet love. 

It is home. 




As this is about nourishment I thought I would share with you my most favourite of favourite comfort food recipes.  It's quick, simple, refreshing, healthy, delicious and nutrious. I make this whenever I feel run down, tired or just plain over it.  Plus you have to eat it with a spoon :)


Chicken & Lemon Soup



Ingredients 

1 onion, finely chopped

3 garlic cloves, finely chopped

a good handful of caraway seeds

4 free range chicken breasts

6 cups of chicken stock*

juice of 5 lemons, approximately 1/2 cup

half a celery, chopped leaves and all

cooked white rice

* I've tried a few different chicken stocks, but this one is great.  I always try to have free-range frames in the freezer and some stock ready to go.  I leave out the bay leaves though as I think it makes it taste bitter. I also tend to add a good dose of salt. But, if you don't have the time, use pre-made stock.

Method 
Saute the onion until transparent , then add the garlic and caraway seeds, simmer for a few minutes. Add the chicken stock and whole chicken breasts. Simmer until chicken breasts are almost cooked through, approximately 10 minutes. Then add lemon juice. When chicken breasts are cooked, remove from soup. Add celery to soup and continue to simmer. Meanwhile, on a chopping board, use two forks to shred chicken apart into bite size pieces. Add chicken back to soup and serve.

I generally serve this on white rice. But I have also used risoni, brown rice and quinoa. They all work well and it just depends on your mood or preference really.

Photo to follow








No comments:

Post a Comment